The Intelligent Transportation Society of America (ITS America) announced an updated vision and mission via a new 3-year strategic plan.
As the nation’s leading intelligent transportation advocate, ITS America brings together leaders from the public sector, private industry, academia, and research organizations to advocate for the scaled deployment of technology in communities across the country.
"As the ITS and tech industries continue to transform and shift, we needed to put together a plan of action for widescale deployment that reflects community values around access and opportunity," said ITS America President & CEO Laura Chace. "As the country’s leading voice for the deployment of transportation technology, we refreshed our vision to reflect how technology can transform safety, sustainability, opportunity, and access for all. We can only make the world safer, greener, and smarter if we are making transportation technology and innovation accessible to all communities."
The new strategic plan reflects the growing acceptance that intelligent transportation technologies are ready to see expanded use by supporting the ITS sector, advocating for scaled deployment, and educating and engaging communities to leverage existing opportunities, available through the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA) to ensure technology benefits communities across the country from rural America to urban centers.
The refreshed ITS America vision is: "A better future transformed by transportation technology and innovation. Safer. Greener. Smarter. For all."
The mission is: "To be the leading voice advocating for the scaled deployment of innovative transportation technology through policy, thought leadership, and developing a diverse workforce."
ITS America Guiding Principles:
1. Focus on the user
2. Reimagine how we think about safety
3. Cultivate sustainability and resiliency
4. Champion equity, diversity, and inclusion in transportation and the workforce
5. Promote access and opportunity
6. Educate, engage, and convene stakeholders to listen and build consensus
2023-2026 Goals and Strategies
1. Enhance member value
• Enhance member value offerings to engage existing members and attract new voices
• Diversify & grow revenue & leverage ITS America’s work to add value to the market
• Board development
• Strategic staffing & resourcing
2. Grow and influence adoption of technology solutions
• Continue leadership in policy and advocacy
• Support procurement innovation and resources to obtain federal funding
• Advance scaled deployment to grow adoption of ITS leveraging committees and members
• Develop key metrics and outcomes to promote the cost-benefit analysis and return on
investment of investing in ITS
3. Expand education and awareness of ITS
• Share case studies of successful ITS deployments
• Public agency outreach and engagement via local workshops & training
• Grow social media & digital presence including “voices of ITS”
• Promote a diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce for today and tomorrow